Sunday 7 February 2010

Monologue(s)

Curtains draw: it’s 4 o’ clock and
the stage echoes with the sound of hearts beating
in tandem.


Listen –

I can hear you breathe
again; your breath seething
beneath my skin. Your
whispers fill the night with alkaline
and I am
heavy; heavy and
falling.
Your words weigh me,
and crack my sulphur lips
like kisses.

(beat)

I never asked for this.

There’s a movement,
a balance shifting,
and the darkness begins to lift
like a veil.

//
The Other stirs and
speaks:

And I,

I never answered: you
never let me – just kept me
locked up here, lodged somewhere inside
( ( your ribcage ) ), feeding me
on blood and bones,
acidic sticks and stones,
whilst I
am left fighting for air,
flighting heartwards.

But now it’s 4 o’clock and
your electric eyes cry moonshine, and
my heart beeps noisy beats
in tandem
with your own.

(beat beat - pause)

Listen –
can you hear it?

//
The stage opens up, and there is
a fleeting possibility of awake
before the day breaks.

We step into the spotlight and
our fingers lock together.
We are the key.
It fits!


Together we are
(halfhalf) and
- O -
everyone knows that
these two halves make
a hole.

* * *

Extract from Emilie Autumn's 'The Asylum for Wayward Victorian Girls':
'There is something that goes on in the minds of many manic depressives when entering into either a manic or a depressive state ... that nobody claims to understand, but that many bipolars in the far corners of the world can attest to, and that is the consistent waking up at four o'clock in the morning. And when I say four o'clock, I mean four o'clock on the fucking dot. ... And the thing is, you don't just wake up. You wake up with your mind racing, music churning over and over inside your head, the internal noise, words, pictures, absolutely unbearable...'

* * *

Can you believe this took far longer to format (and reformat, and reformat) than it did to write? I hate you, Blogger.
Another poems about the same fucking thing. You must be getting sick of these by now.
I know I am.
Written for a workshop on Speaking in Tongues that I'm hoping on entering. Please comment / critique it, especially keeping the idea of 'voices' in mind.

* * *

CREDITS!!
Emilie Autumn (how I love thou!) - her book, 'The Asylum for Wayward Victorian Girls' (which is incredible) and the song '4 o'clock' (one of my personal favourites!)
• 'my heart beeps noisy beats' is a subversion of 'my heart bleeps noisy beeps' - a song by Räuberhöhle (which you can download for free here)
• The phrase 'heartwards' was invented by absyntheminded, who suggested I use it for the random poem I wrote in creative writing the other day. I hope she doesn't mind if I commandeer it for this poem too (because it's beautiful)

8 comments:

  1. Arghhhh, love! I especially love the first half, but it's all amazing. I'll leave another comment on dA when it goes up! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Phoeb-frendy! I'm very glad you like it! :)
    Should be going up some time next week, so look out for it...

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing Jen...

    I agree with Feeb: the first few lines are amazing, so strong and engaging!

    I love: "Your words weigh me, and crack my sulphur lips like kisses": excellent!

    Unfortunately I'm really crap at poetry so I can't judge on how this could be improved, or even whether it needs to be improved. All I know is that I really enjoyed reading it!

    The Emilie stuff is fascinating; I can't wait to read "The Asylum"

    Much love, J xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much, J! I am glad you enjoyed it~ ♥

    I know; the book is a wonderous win. I will lend it too you asap - still working my way through it atm! :)

    Muchos love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow... this is fabulous! I am envious and impressed :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you very much, Grace dear! :)

    Haha, don't be envious though; your poetry is FAR better!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like hell my poetry is better! It is in fact of a high degree of suckiness :P

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pfft, there is no argument here! You know I am (always) right! :P

    xxx

    ReplyDelete