Monday 15 March 2010

Digging Deep

i.
Sunrise.
Though muffled by the clouds
of sound crackling
over my head, I feel it:
a sort of light, seeping
through the soil. Hazed
rays like roots,
roots of light b r e a k i n g
through, entwining
my toes with
earth.

My breath makes mists
of momentary suspension,
caught in the net of air.


ii.
And every moment is like waking
to skies of fly-
specked grey and
eyes
opening – (breaking
from my dreams
that are badreams
of circles
closing
around my chest,
snapping sinews and
scattering ash –

I always
turn out to be
hollowhearted).

My bones permeate sight
unflinchingly. Matchstick limbs
akimbo, saluting my
(stifled)
free-
fall.


iii.
I reach back
into darkness, endlessly -
my mind racing, trailing,
scouring
the star-eaten sky
for secrets, traces
of the truth that peel
away
as time transcends itself.

It rains,
but the water’s rotten, full
of moth-eaten holes, hazy
with the sound of
/dis-connection.


iv.
There is a weight fixed
between my heartbones –
the wait is silence.
How is the air so thick,
so full,
of emptiness?
Time is incomplete,
I am un-
finished.

I’m digging deep,
but all words
and meaning
are slipping
away
and

only the light
is listening:

* * *

Consider this a sister piece to Flipside - Beneath the Sky, a much older poem of mine. Inspired by Toni Morrison's 'Beloved' (epic book, insane film - go read/watch it now!) and the song 'Digging Deep' by Jakalope.

By the way, Blogger will not let me use the correct formatting for this. To see the poem written as it should be (well, almost), please see it on my dA page.

4 comments:

  1. Another wonderful poem!

    The last bit (iv) is my favourite... I love the thing about silence, emptiness and time. I can really relate to "Time is incomplete, I am un-/finished". I love the way you put "finished" on a separate line.

    I love your writing. Every poem seems to have a greater sense of confidence and you seem to really be finding your own style as a poet.

    Wow... I wish I was this good! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thank you J!

    It's interesting you say that because I thought this poem was actually in a slightly different style from my others - not intentionally, but it does feel different. I think it's because the flow of ideas is a bit messed up!

    Pfft, you are FAR better. You make whole BOOKS OF WIN. ♥ I'm still staring at it in amazement!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I love this. Your imagery is just so haunting and eerie, and you have such original ideas and ways of saying things.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much, Grace! :D

    xxx

    ReplyDelete