Sunday 27 June 2010

Sunday's Child Speaks To Sleep

Once upon a Sunday, I saw god
and she looked like you – moon-eyed insomnia
collecting sleep-dust at the elbows, rusting
ball-joints. She chewed the chalk-lit skies
as they curved chromatic into my stiff yellow collarbones,
and swept up the night. She was busy setting suns
and settling the air, but she took the time
to answer my prayer in lullaby tones.
"Sleep is wrong", she said, simply.
And I agreed. Because alone,
I see you clearer –
hiding behind your rag doll physics as you rip
one day from the next with the kiss of death-
in-life, you shallow breather. Caught on the cusp
of your muchness, I have always been
your interrupted
girl;

sucking the warmth from your kerosene fingers
whilst counting the cloud-bodied creatures
with their faces of the blackout. Sometimes
there are whole nights unbroken,
of plump and pregnant hush; baited spaces
of uneaten breath. Your psalms of silence.
And then sometimes
I hear only the sheep speak
in their tongue of Morse Code,
clicking out heartbeats
as they tap their trials into my veins.
I count their cries on fingers,
but their bleats bleed like rain
and I soon run out of digits.

It seems, (as god said), that
I could learn to love you
if you didn’t smother me.
If you didn’t stifle me so completely
with your windowless pitch
and night-sheep that breathe fumes
to choke the lights. I am Sunday's child,
but you unplugged the sun
I sung to and left me
voiceless, orphaned. Now
I’m just a child who cries when her star sleeps
and your atrophic echoes litter
the ceiling, scattered blackly; latching
onto the backs of my eyelids.
You never did understand
that I only need one shadow. So
I made a promise to cling to my
unbroken daybreak immortality:
Never to let go; never
to close my eyes; never to get lost
in your fathomless deep -

and that when I grow up
I’m never going to sleep.



* * *

[Please see this poem in it's proper format here.]

I was born on a Sunday. This may explain a lot.

Sleep and I have a weird relationship. Sometimes I'm continually exhausted and think of nothing else but sleep; other times I can’t think why I ever need to sleep at all. I'm not sure whether the idea of it – a limbo of unconsciousness between the days – comforts or terrifies me.
The longest I haven’t slept for is 4 days or so. Apparently you go mad at 5, and die at about 10. It's a good thing that 'never' is a continually shrinking time span nowadays.

For the record, I’m not sure whether this is serious or nonsensical. The line between the two has blurred too much recently.


'When I grow up I'm never going to sleep
When I grow up I'm never going to cry
When I grow up I'm never going to try
When I go out I'm never coming home
When I grow up I'm never going to die.'
- 'Sleep is Wrong', Sleepytime Gorilla Museum

5 comments:

  1. Jen, this is amazing. The imagery is so powerful.

    Favourite bit:
    "I could learn to love you
    if you didn’t smother me.
    If you didn’t stifle me so completely
    with your windowless pitch
    and night-sheep that breathe fumes
    to choke the lights." <3

    This is one of my favourite poems of yours!

    Is is true that you did after 10? Wouldn't your body force you to sleep by that stage. Could you murder someone that way?

    Haha, you are definitely not a typical Sunday's child (hint hint, please tell me I'm a typical Monday's child :P)

    Sleep and I have a strange relationship; I think about it all the time, it's like a hunger. It's not that I like sleeping -- I wish it didn't need too -- but I need to switch off, I see myself as a machine with an off switch and I look forward to losing consciousness. But recently i've been having nightmares so my off-switch seems to be malfunctioning... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. and *need to, argh!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous and I adore it :) I particularly like the part about counting sheep; it's kind of sinister.

    Are you bonny and blithe and good and gay then? :P I'm a Wednesday - full of woe! :(

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, FAIL, J! But thank you so much! ♥
    Yeah, you do die then - or pretty soon after. I think it's a torture they used in concentration camps and the like.
    Yeah, I've been having loads of weird, really vivid dreams lately too! It must be what revision does to your mind...

    Haha, I'm definitely NOT ANY of those things! Although I think both you of suit your days (the fair J and - yep, Grace, you're always SO FULL OF WOE)!

    Never thought you'd be reading about sinister sheep now, did you!? But thank you :)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete