Wednesday 13 October 2010

Rhetorica

It is for the best (they said).
They meant the fall. But
there is only light when the sky is rent
and I have sold my soul for another attempt
at this -

the chimeric fantasies, psychosis
in the palm of a hand. It has a certain charm
about it that few would understand,
like a clam that's swallowed a pearl
and lets the ancient words uncurl
across its tongue.

My own poetic prophecies didn't turn out so well.
I drunk a whole epitaph; my own epoch
that I picked from the pockets of time.
It was a binary kind of silence, acted out
to the knitting of heels to train tracks,
the breaking open of mouths, sealed.
They said the sighs would interrupt the songs
but I never had a melody to begin with,
I never had a voice. No choice but to let
the ceiling slip; to learn to inhabit an emptiness
once more.


Sometimes I check the empty spaces
between the collarbones to make sure
I'm truly alone. Paranoia's my symbiotic,
my rhetoric, and all I know
is that when I go out
I'm never
coming
home.


* * *

There are two sides to every story. This is one of them.
It's the most wonderful and terrifying feeling. Last time, I couldn't stop laughing for hours on end until it caught up with me. Hitting earth again really hurts.

Let's play spot the reference! There are several literary/lyrical references here (from 2 songs and 2 books). Anyone who manages to guess one gets a virtual cookie. <3

2 comments:

  1. Wow. This is... I didn't know. I mean, it's very good, firstly! I really like these more personal poems you've been writing lately; it adds something when the words are closely bound up with yourself. I love the rhymeyness in the first two stanzas as well (Oh yes, I has the terminology...)

    But the hypomania thing... that sounds scary. I want to ask a really personal question, and feel free to say piss off and stop being nosy, but would you change it if you could?

    As for the references, I'm afraid I cannot spot them :( Guess I'm just a big fail!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much, dear! <3
    ...sadly that terminology is better than what I'm using in my essays at the moment... :P

    It's hella scary. And I think I would change it if I could. More so than the depressive phases, actually. Even though people generally think of manias as 'the good bit', they're really unsettling. And levelling off is THE WORST feeling ever.

    Aww, nevermind. Most of them are a little obscure. There's one of them that you have DEFINITELY read though. I wonder if you could guess what that is...? :P xxx

    ReplyDelete