Friday 4 December 2009

Blue and White - Istigkeit

Here I am now, submerged in blue: a wall of colour and nothing else. Here, time is defunct, because now and here is nowhere, and I am little more than abstract thoughts. There’s a kind of purity about it, a wholeness; smooth white peace like a softmint, with the sting in the mouth too. There’s a sound like the hush of clouds seething between the bones and a floating sensation, like falling asleep underwater.
Beneath the heavens, where opaline skies bite down on treetops, I lie open. I am free. Out of the veil of myopia everything seems crystalline and bright; pure as tears.
I have come here to empty myself; to erase emotion and relieve the weight of exhaustion from my limbs. The endless expanse of blue drains me, washes over my eyelids, and I am infinitely small yet part of everything, and full of so many fractured voices and half-formed words, I find it hard to breathe.
I am learning peace. Locked in my own pearl carapace, I sleep, dreaming achromatic dreams of bird cages, piano keys and sulphuric clouds dragging the lake. And I am rolled flat beneath the waves; a cut-paper ghost, the mouth shutting on nothing over and over. Ice laces the knots of my spine, and I can feel my lungs flooding with silence.
And this is what it is to be whole. Istigkeit: the essence of life, pressed like a flower.
I am beneath it all, beyond it all, as I lie still; watching the clouds passing, passing, over my head.

* * *

Just something short a wrote in creative writing club recently. The theme was colours, so I, naturally, chose blue and white.
Although it wasn't originally inspired by the song, I felt that it fit - and, as I love Babes in Toyland and this is an amazing song, I thought I ought to share it. Even though that meant spending an evening making a video as there wasn't one on the internet (shameful!)...
Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful as usual, Jen. You have such a fluid and atmospheric style of writing. I love reading your stuff.

    So many Plath-isms in here haha! This whole thing is saturated with Plath, it's great. I love her, I'm totally addicted to her at the moment!!!! Sudden and unexpected adoration of Plath! Especially 'Tulips.' :D

    Great stuff dearest!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, J! :D

    Haha, as there always is with my writing. I think I'm turning into her!

    'Tulips' is my favourite poem EVER. I was so glad that we were able to do it in class the other day!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my God, me too!!! *pathetic SNAP scream*

    The other day when Mrs Hill said we were doing a hospital-related poem, I had my fingers crossed and I was muttering 'Tulips, Tulips' under my breath, and then when it was 'Tulips' I got very excited!!!! It is literally my favourite favourite poem!

    My favourite verse is the one beginning 'I didn't want any flowers...'

    Genius!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, win! It is the best, I love it so! Flip, Jess and I did a group project on it and spent the whole lesson discussing it in detail. We didn't even reach the end! It was great fun. :D

    'Elm' is another one of my favourites too, but I don't think we're doing that one...

    'Tis indeed genius! :D

    xxx

    ReplyDelete