Thursday 24 December 2009

Paper Planes

Sometimes it feels as if the world is
turning in on itself, and that I too
am curling up, folding away, and

learning how to fly.
For we were all born
from the insides of stars,

spouting words and colourforms
and every shade of moth-backed night imaginable.
Even me and my stitches.

And to stardust we’ll return.

Maybe I’ll fade through this filtered sunlight,
back to me at five,
discovering the world underwater:

the sun split and scattered across the surface;
the mouths puckered, full of streams; the skin
that flickered and wavered like a mirage

that was not your own. Floating:
that feeling of weightless freedom.
And maybe -

dustclouds opening across my eyes -
I'll be able to come up for air
once more.


* * *

Another poem. I keep getting random urges to write poetry at the moment, so I'm trying to use this opportunity to work at it. This went through a lot of transformations before it got to this state. I didn't really have much idea where I was going with this one!
Less Plath this time: I hope that means there's more of 'me' in this one.

As always, comments and critique are more than welcome.

And of course: Happy Holidays everyone!!

3 comments:

  1. Ooh, I like! Muchly :D You have such interesting images in your poems - kinda nonsensical but making sense is the best way I can describe it! (unlike my comments which are nonsensical and DON'T make sense lol) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Thank you~ ♥
    Nonsensicality (?) is definitely a good thing - especially in comments, methinks. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed, sense is overrated! :P
    xxx

    ReplyDelete