Monday 21 December 2009

Sound of(f) 2009

Finally, the whole 'Christmas Number One crisis' is over. And although I’m glad that Rage Against The Machine pipped X-Factor contestant Joe McElderry to the number one spot (being anti-Cowell, exploitation profits and musical manufacture as I am), in general, that facebook campaign really annoyed me. I mean, the idea of a load of people saying ‘fuck you, I won’t do what you tell me’ to Simon Cowell and the establishment is pretty awesome, and I totally back that. But when its tainted with the irony that people have said basically just turned round and said ‘fuck you, I won’t do what you tell me – but I will do what YOU tell me’ to someone else has really taken any sense of success out of the campaign for me. The whole situation smacks of fail. Is this really what our heavily watered-down sense of revolution has come to: self-deluding hypocrisy?
I also found it interesting to read this article at Current.com which says:
‘Both acts are on Sony. Music News reports that the two singles gave the record label a 65.6% share of single market. Indie labels had 2.0% between them.’
A great ‘win’ for real music then? I think not.
Personally, I am an advocate of everyone finding their own music taste, and buying what they want to hear, no matter what others tell them. And if pop music is your thing, then fine, go and buy that. But if not, then don’t fret and don’t feel obliged to conform! There are plenty of great alternative bands out there. Don’t believe it? Here is a selection of some of my favourite bands from 2009.
* * *
Angelspit
I was really excited when I heard that 2009 would yield the release of a new Angelspit album – one of my favourite bands of all time – especially when I ordered a beautiful signed copy! ‘Hideous and Perfect’ is, as always, a wonderful work of musical and visual artistry. The songs’ lyrics and music show the band’s clear creative development, and ‘Hideous and Perfect’ is very much crafted as a self-contained album. Check out the awesome video for ‘Fuck the Revolution’.

Daisy Dares You
OK, I admit, Daisy Dares You is not exactly alternative. In fact, Daisy is apparently set to be a big mainstream success in 2010 according to various newspapers – she’s even longlisted for the BBC’s Sound of 2010. But anyway, I shall be pleased to be able to say ‘I knew about her before she was cool!’ and mean it! Her self-titled track ‘Daisy Dares You’ is pretty catchy dance-pop, and I can definitely see her music catching on. One to watch, for sure.

Fever Fever
Fever Fever are a cool three-piece punk band hailing from Norwich that mix primal rock fury with occasional girl rap and a clear riot grrrl influence. They are a relatively new band, with only a couple of songs released on their debut record and several compilation albums, but their songs have plenty of biting character and are all worth a listen. ‘Numbers’ is my personal favourite.

I:Scintilla
Another of my all-time favourite bands, industrial-powerhouse I:Scintilla, have made some great new music this year. Although I was slightly gutted to hear that the release of their album has been delayed till 2010, the release of their EP ‘Prey on You’ this November cheered me up a lot. I adore the songs on this EP, especially ‘Hollowed’, and it’s made me even more excited for the release of ‘Dying and Falling’ next January. Yay!

Räuberhöhle
2009 also saw another fantastic release from my favourite lo-fi retroclash German band, Räuberhöhle. ‘Deep in the Forest’ is their debut full-length album, crammed with sugar-powered riot grrrl goodness. They’re all great songs to dance around to, my favourite being ‘Angry Dancy’ which officially does what it says on the tin!

Screaming Females
Another punk rock three piece, Screaming Females hail from New Brunswick. Now this is a band with some skillz. Marissa is a truly amazing vocalist and guitarist, and the threesome are perfectly matched to make great tunes. ‘Buried in the Nude’ is a truly amazing song. Go download ‘Bell’ for free from their Last.fm page now!

The Brownies
The Brownies describe themselves as a post-punk, happy hardcore five-piece from Norwich. Clearly influenced by riot grrrl bands like Bratmobile and Bikini Kill, but also taking wider musical inspiration from metalcore, indie and punk, The Brownies have their own unique sound. Ourknife Yourback is a shockingly good album, full of amazing songs. If there is anything that you listen to from this list, let it be The Brownies!

Violet Violet
A riot grrrl indie punk band, Violet Violet describe their music as ‘gossip rock’: ‘edgy, full-on bitching, harmoniously delivered by a feisty trio of sardonic sirens’. Their songs have plenty of kick and energy, and always make a good listen. 2009 has seen the release of another awesome album from the threesome: ‘This City is Full of Beasts’. ‘Love This Band’ has been in my head for days..

6 comments:

  1. I have to say that the more I think about it, the more I'm pissed of by the RATM thing. Partially for the reasons that you say, but also for sentimental reasons that I can't see you agreeing with! I always wanted Christmas No 1 to return to the happy, jolly, cheesy thing it once was, not the churned out lame X Factor single but equally not some angry rock song (or whatever genre it is.) It ought to make you feel Christmassy and joyful IMO! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is what I would prefer too! Even if I personally didn't like the song, as long as it was one that people genuinely liked, and the title was fairly up for grabs by a number of artists, I really wouldn't mind!
    It's just a shame that the RATM thing was the only way to possibly end the tyrannical reign of Simon Cowell... D:
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, the whole 'number of artists' thing is kinda missing these days! I guess people just think it's not worth attempting to go up against the X Factor winner, so you don't get any kind of anticipation over who's going to make it because there's usually just one contender :( At least the tyrannical reign of Simon Cowell HAS been ended... for one year anyway! Next year I'm starting my own campaign: '"If You're Happy And You Know It (With Added Jingle Bells)" for Christmas No 1' You can be in the video with me if you like :P
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can understand why other musicians don't want to go up against the X-factor contestant, but I think this has to be something that the music industry addresses, and not just a load of random pissed off people on facebook!
    Omg, YES. I'm going to start planning my crazy video outfit already! ;D
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't really agree with that... I'm really neutral about the whole thing. I'm not anti-Cowell - what's wrong with him?! He's just a guy. Admittedly, a controlling-millionaire type of guy, but still... I really think that people should have just BOUGHT WHAT THEY WANTED instead of picking on the basis of crushing some guy/band's dreams of No.1. And I agree with Lemonie about cheesiness. Bring it back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, it's the controlling-millionaire side of him that I don't really like. Does he really care about the dreams of these x-factor contestants? No. Just the loverly profits they're going to make him!
    What I meant wasn't that he should be stopped - just that the music industry should stop tip-toeing around him at Christmas time. Because at the moment the whole Christmas Number One tradition is being sucked dry.
    But I definitely agree that people should have just bought what they wanted: and that no one should have the right to decide what that should be!
    Cheesiness is definitely the way to go! xxx

    ReplyDelete