Monday 5 April 2010

The Crows

It’s February, and a dismal forecast when you and I
meet under an ashen sky for the last time. Our breath
makes clouds which suck our voices out of the air,
and you’re wary - conversation is a little too close
for comfort. You’d rather cut
the cords between us and feed my good intentions
to the crows - those black angels sewn
across the skyline and below
where they line the fence, your last defence. Or
is that mine? – the horizon melts into my spine,
shot through with stones and bits of bones
that the birds pick at, but I won’t let
your cold words break
me. You can hiss and lie or kick
and cry all you want, I won’t retaliate – just
weight my words and tip this balance
against you. You spit venom into vapour, but
you won’t atone – you don’t even realise
that this bird’s already flown,
in a flurry of feathers
to crown the end.

The presence of the crows
grows - their wings beat airborne heart-
beats; the fence bleeds black. A fitting
backdrop for what you’re due:
and drop
you
do

.

As for the crows and I,
we’ll take form from formaldehyde
and let our wings kiss the sky. For
the crows know I won’t hide
from the inquisition of their eyes - a weapon
I cannot defuse; an invitation
I cannot refuse – a look
with all the intensity
of love.

* * *

One of the groups I'm in on dA set a monthly challenge called Let Music Be Your Muse, which is really exactly what it sounds - write a piece inspired by music. And this is my entry.

Seeing as my poems are usually inspired by at least one song, I tried to do something a little different and exclusively base it on the idea of one song; that being 'Crows' by QueenAdreena - although, as the album it's from, Djin, is a concept album, I must admit I did take inspiration from other songs on it too.

Any constructive criticism is welcome, and wish me luck in the challenge!


2 comments:

  1. Wonderful, as ever!

    I love how free and almost prose-like this poem is, it's really natural and effortless.

    Favourite line: "You don't realise that this bird's already flown, in a flurry of feathers to crown the end."

    Have you read "Crow" by Ted Hughes? I have a copy of the book if you don't have one and are interested.


    Plus I am pleased you're listening to the Police-- I have the same "massive compilation" as your madre and I have lots of their vinyl too! Rave on :D

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to try something a little different and move away from all the completely rhyme-centered poetry I've been writing recently (it kind of fails and goes back to that in the middle, but I'm getting there!), so I'm glad you like the prose-like-ness of it! >w<

    Haha, that line was inspired by The Duchess of Malfi! I actually think I've fallen in love with that play... Shows what being locked at home with a play for days can do to you...

    No, I haven't, but I would definitely like to borrow it, if that's OK! We can do a trade-off: I get 'Crow', you get 'Le Tigre'. <3

    Rave on indeed! They are trés winsome!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete