Wednesday 31 March 2010

Paracusia: Symptom of Sick Seas

Hello?
Who’s there?
//
Hell-
O
.

Dusk, a pocketful
of dust – the old rhyme
of time re-re-repeats itself
once more. I watch
the corners of the sky
fold into night, peeling
black as I sit
slack across the broken jaw
of the day. My mind’s
wearing thin, fraying
at the edges, catching
voices
in its tendrils –
atmospheric//
//interference.

.

O my people, I
hear your cries – I
spit your lies
and scratch your truths
into ether. Your
unheard words weather
the storms of sick
seas to reach
my ears. You play
on fears; my hopes, my
tears – your whispers
whittle at flayed
nerves. Is this
what I deserve –
the torment of
seething sighs and fleeting
tones bleating
beneath the bones?

I
am blessed
with the unrest
of an empty
chest. At seven,
I sang in circles of salt
and sold my soul
to the sea.

It was out of that blue
that you grew - you
knew what you could do
to a girl with a hole
in her heart, marked
as prey, with all
the right symptoms: the
crystal fractures, the split-
ends, the fresh-cut kether
of broken teeth or hair. You
tore my peace
to pieces, ate my
prayers like
air.

O my people:
my breathless voices, my
hollow hauntings,
spilt blood
of none:
I am un-
done

.

Now our burnout eyes
will watch embers rise
and /split/ the husk
of the
sun –

* * *

Paracusia - otherwise known as auditory hallucinations // hearing voices.

Although it used to be believed that only the mentally ill heard voices (it is a common symptom of schizophrenia), recent research has shown that as many as one in twenty-five people regularly hears voices.

Mine just like to have fun with language...

Once again, blogger hates my formatting, so please go and view the poem in its proper format here. It's not that different, but it makes a difference to me!

((Inspired by T.S. Eliot ))

2 comments:

  1. Epic win Jen!

    Once again, I am really impressed! xD

    So jealous... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thank you J!

    But really, you should not be jealous - your creative skills are far superior!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete