Sunday 11 July 2010

(R)evolve

daughter of wind and water, caught in a corner
at birth, i was cut
from birdnests of radio wires and disconnected
phone cords by earthworms,
and formed from jurassic dust. for me,
life is the in-between,
where i must parachute endlessly, cutting seams
into the sky – markers
of strewn hearts for the cliff-top gulls to pick clean.
sitting pretty, smug;
clammed shut as a pill bug. queen of voiceless calls,
i revolve.
that is, until i evolve, and hit the freefall -

when all that's left will be dug
deep. my spine,
laced with loose stones;
my barnacle-studded bones.
i'll root with heather,
teeth and hair,
and weave a kether of ferns
for me to wear
as i break from air
and turn,
and knot
into the clot of sleep.


* * *

GAH! WHY IS BLOGGER FORMATTING SO UNBELIEVEABLY CRAP - NAY, NON-EXISTENT!?
Ahem, in other words, please please read this in its proper format here. It just doesn't make sense without the structure.

Inspired by my holiday on the Jurassic Coast. In fact, I wrote most of the basis of this on a deserted cliff top. It's the kind of place where you feel like you've been enveloped, caught between three senders - earth, sea and sky - and you're lost, but so definitely there. Surreal, yet very real.

2 comments:

  1. Why won't it let you indent the lines? :S How strange. Although I think it's okay formatless.

    I like the story behind this - pieces that are inspired by certain events or settings, and written in the moment, always seem to have a lot of vitality. Trouble is, I tend to write down notes on my iPod when inspiration strikes, and then not be able to mould them into anything when I get home :)

    Oh, and I love the title too!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why, but I've tried a variety of different ways many a time, and it has NEVER WORKED. D< *raaaaage*

    I know the feeling - I have a massive word doc where I type up any ideas I've had whilst out, and there's about three pages of lines I've never got round to using...

    Thanks! Cheesy wordplay ftw! :D
    xxx

    ReplyDelete