Tuesday 3 August 2010

.diana

.

There will be thick sleep tonight. Drugged on the dull anaesthesia of lullabies,
even the anchorless feel the tug of the deep, consuming like a love, a hunger.
Above, the moon sucks in the sky like a craving, wide-eyed. Dilate. Diana ditched
the forest for the midnight; she's stitched herself to the undersides of stars.
She spears and speaks through the mouths of clouds. Moondrunk, she's sunk
into the currents of our mumbled conversations; our fumbled demonstrations
of humanity. Hunting a heartbeat amongst a fleet of ghosts.

Sleep is her uncountry; the estuary that feeds her sea of sky. She steers
past the arms of drowned suns and daughters that reach from the waters.
Taking names, notes. Traces of heartbreak in the wake of her boat.

War-torn wishers, we flit and fall like sycamore seeds, feeling not high, but afloat.
Even here she hounds us, smiling like a child, dog-hearted. She is ellipsis, eclipse,
the call of the wild slipped behind the scythes of her fingernails. We close
on the guise of the city, the immutable face of a father, and collapse back
to our tiny premature deaths: sleepscorched breath and the smell of surgery.
Flight, distilled. Diana sits and sighs, the virgin queen, unravelling the night
into morphine; saline; the salt of sleepdust rusting round the eyes.

.

* * *

I wrote a lot about sleep whilst I was away. This is largely made up of ideas I salvaged from the wreckage of my attempt at a longer project...
Anyway, at least Greece (and its amazing mythology) was inspirational. I might make a series of these.

Also, some exciting news! Guess who's been given the chance to join the questioning panel for dA's An Audience with Margaret Atwood as part of their 10th birthday celebrations? Hell yes. :D

2 comments:

  1. I love this, it's so elegant. Hooray for Greek imagery, it never gets old, but it takes a lot of talent not to make it cliched and you pull it off marvellously.

    I'm glad you had a good time in Greece. Keep writing!!!

    I didn't know you liked Rasputina, I listen to them on Youtube a lot! This is good news, yay. Their music is so haunting.

    And I'm jealous of you getting to interview Atwood!!!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, thank you! I tried not to make it too cliché - and luckily the severe overload of sleep imagery I've got at the moment helped that - so I'm glad it's ok.

    I have to be in the right mood for them, but when I am, I listen to nothing else. There's definite EA comparisons to be made! And Melora Creager is such a genius! <3

    xxx

    ReplyDelete