Friday 1 October 2010

Sleeptalk

I buried the dead
and they came up stories.
- Angle of Repose, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum


I am made of a series of stumbles;
of mispronunciations and a rhyming guide
to natural histories. Nights spent revisiting
the mysteries of the frame of a lightbulb,
fish nets, home. Such screams and sleeptalk
as dreams are made on and I am torn from –
as I am forcefed a pulse and a rhythm
and a mantra to forget them all by day.

I am the tempest:
the tongue of a soothsayer,
a palm full of future; and I'll keep
sleepwalking, snowfaced,
until I have nothing left to say.


* * *

And I'm running out of words.


Hopefully I'll get the chance to touch this up later - I'm not happy with it as it stands. Just needed to write something uber-personal again because I feel like I haven't been myself in a while, and it's starting to scare the crap out of me. :\

Now back to my reading list! [/procrastination]


Angle of Repose is an insanely amazing song, I love it so.
Also, Shakespeare references ftw!

6 comments:

  1. I am loving this one Jen! I found it moving. There's definitely lots of amazing imagery in here too (you know how I love birdcages!)

    Hope you're OK!

    Love you lots,

    J xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thank you very much J! It's great to hear that when it feels like I haven't written in eons... <3

    Pfft, I don't even know anymore!

    Love you lots too, m'dear xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really, really like this! ♥ It's nice how personal it is to you but how different it is maybe to the way others see you?

    Also hope Moll's going well (or not too tediously at least), and you're alright, and I'm glad you're finding time to write to keep you sane :)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, thank you Grace! *hugs* ♥
    I'm glad you think it's different to how other people see me - I'd hate to think I was that annoying and fail to the rest of the world! haha

    I'm about 210 pages in now... It's got a little more interesting, I must say, but it's still not great. Definitely need more writing time to keep me going! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. *hugsback* Er, oi, you're not annoying or fail at all! Silly Jen :P

    Ahh I've just started Tom Jones. It's massive *sigh* xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, thank you dear <3

    Eww, good luck with that! I finally finished Moll Flanders! Now onto my wonderous medieval texts! *sob* D': xxx

    ReplyDelete